Friday, March 2, 2012

And so, it begins

Training that is. I, Kelsey, have started training Scuttle. There have been some issues that have come up and I have realized there are, somewhat, simple solutions. Right now I am working on Crate Training her. So far she has done far better than I anticipated.

At first I just sat down by it and gentle coaxed her over while talking gently to her. She relaxed and had no problems being near the crate. So, I placed her bed inside and threw in a couple of treats. She got both front legs, half of her body, inside with little issue. She has yet to enter fully but I have hope that within a couple of weeks she will be fully trained. Once she goes in there on her own, without treats, we want to start feeding her in there. She is really weird about her food and is a very slow eater, though I think this is because she is insecure still. My hope is that the crate will become her safe place, which she so desperately needs.

We are also looking into trainers to come into our home and work with us to teach her some basic obedience. We are excited to see what will happen in the future and are hopeful as to what we will be able to accomplish with a little help.

On another note she loves going on walks. She is learning to walk nicely without pulling, though she does have quit the stubborn streak. She hates walking behind Sailor but submits after a while. I'm teaching her to stop and return to my side when I say "stop". It was something she did on her own and I decided to make it a command.

I'll keep you guys updated. Until next time!

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment